Contrary to popular belief, professional writers are not delegated into small, niche roles in our modern society. Individuals can forge prosperous careers as writers with a little bit of determination and education from online master’s degree programs in business in journalism and mass communications. In a constantly evolving social landscape, organizations seek out qualified candidates capable of drawing the attention of the masses.
As businesses invest and allocate more and more resources into self-branding and marketing operations, talented writers are needed to brainstorm thought-provoking, eye-catching campaign ideas. Graduate degrees in technical communications have helped candidates develop the necessary capabilities to achieve in this field.
Online master’s degrees in journalism & mass communication Coursework
Most degree programs, such as graduate degrees in business communications and public relations, focus its core curriculum on intensive writing. Effective communication and writing skills lay the groundwork for success in any endeavor. Typical coursework includes:
- Desktop publishing
- Online media
- Research analysis
- Public relations
- News coverage
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), traditional journalist positions–news analysts, reporters and correspondents–are expected to decline over the next few years. Many other career opportunities in social media, however, are predicted to rise over the same time period. Below, some potential career possibilities are listed, along with relevant BLS salary figures.
- Public relations specialists are responsible for helping to shape the public image of an entity. May 2009 mean annual salary for public relations specialists: $51,960.
- Public relations managers are responsible for overseeing programs meant to create a favorable image for a company or a client. May 2009 mean annual salary for public relations managers: $89,960.
- Writers and authors create stories, scripts, web content and advertising materials for various purposes. May 2009 mean annual salary for authors, writers and authors: $53,900.
- Editors are responsible for creating concepts and ideas for writers, revising content and preparing materials for final production. May 2009 mean annual salary for editors: $50,800.
- Advertising and promotions managers are in charge of advertising policies and programs for promotions or sales of various products. May 2009 mean annual salary for advertising and promotions managers: $82,370.
- Broadcast news analysts collect, write and report news stories via video production. May 2009 mean annual salary for broadcast news analysts: $50,400.
Small publications, local news stations and new social media, such as online newspapers and magazines, may provide the best pseudo-traditional opportunities, emphasizing the importance of background education from online master’s degree programs in journalism and mass communications, among others.
Consult WorldWideLearn.com’s Guide to Majors in Journalism to help make an informed decision about your education choices. Feel free to browse different graduate-level programs as well. You can compare and contrast master’s degrees in such specialties as public relations. Alternatively, you can look through the school programs provided below. If you find a school suited to your preferences, simply fill out a form. A representative from your university of choice will contact you and answer any possible questions or concerns.