According to the Wall Street Journal’s second annual ranking of 50 venture-capital-backed companies, investors are pursuing Internet firms, many with a consumer focus on health care. Company culture determines whether start-ups succeeds or fails. Working for a start-up is a blank canvas for employees who have more sense of ownership about their work than with a large corporation. There may be less bureaucracy and more encouraged creativity as well. Some of the following companies list employment information on their Website:
- The Future Well is a consulting firm for health and wellness. Founded in 2010, the company has worked on various projects for the Freelancers Union and Paris-based pharmaceutical company Sanofi.
- Founded in 2000, Lumeris provides the information technology to convert health organizations into high-performing accountable delivery systems. The company is based in Saint Louis, Miss.
Electronic medical records
- Virginia-based IT company DOMA Technologies was founded in 2000. DOMA creates document management applications by helping hospitals, physician practices and other health care providers turn paper records into digital files for easy access, routing and retrieval.
- Cleveland, Ohio based StreamlineMD was established in 2011 to deliver affordable, reliable electronic medical records to small and midsized physician practices as a subscription-based service.
- In 2008, HelloHealth, located in New York City, was created to provide a patient management platform that allows practitioners to automate their processes, increase revenue and take control of their practices. In 2012, HelloHealth received $10 million in venture resources.
- Fledgling startup from San Francisco, Calif. CareZone is a per-year subscription service for family and caregivers to manage health information through archival storage. The company launched in February 2012.
- Clear Practice, LLC is a Maryland Heights, Miss. company with less than 100 employees. The company created a SaaS-based medical health record systems and now has lauched ePrescription software for medical practices.
- Founded in 2011, Ashametrics is focused on providing software solutions for mobile phone integration and medical record integration to enable patients and researchers to collect, analyze and display the health information of patients.
- Intelligent Mobile Support, which received $500,000 of funding in 2012, offers cloud-computing technology that allows access to experts and delivers critical information, including documents, video and other digital media. The company is based out of Cleveland, Ohio.
- Castlight Health Inc. is a three-year-old San Francisco firm whose online technology allows you to run comparisons of out-of-pocket medical expenses and medical treatment. Castlight recently raised $80 million in investments.
- Launched in 2009, Keas designs health plans for employees as well as highlighting specific health and wellness issues by working with medical professionals and other health experts.
- Located in the Bay Area of California, Cake Health offers online users a way to track, organize and understand their medical bills and insurance policies. Founded in 2010, Cake Health also offers users alerts and reminders.
- Founded in 2003, Essence health care in Maryland Heights, Mo. is a private health insurance carrier. Available in six states, Essence’s Medicare Advantage HMOs bundle hospital, medical and prescription drug coverage.
View list of schools offering healthcare programs.
- Everyday Health Inc. runs a network of health websites and mobile applications ranging from in-depth medical content for prevention and management to healthy lifestyle tips. The New York City based company was founded in 2002.
- Health Guru Media launched in 2007 providing consumers an array of health videos on the web with a library with more than 2,250 videos covering 100+ health conditions. Healthguru.com landed nearly two million dollars in investments as of January 2012.
- Zipnosis allows you to diagnose and treat minor health problems by filling out a questionnaire using a computer or smartphone. Found in 2010, Zipnosis uses physician assistants and nurse practitioners to make the diagnosis.
- Virtuwell is an online diagnostic site that is the latest spinoff of HealthPartners, based in Minnesota. HealthPartners, a commercial health plan that has been operating for more than 50 years, launched Virtuwell in 2010.
- Headquartered in Wayne, Pa., Healthy Humans created a user-friendly portal Health eHub, an online site that encourages patients to become more involved in preventative care. Healthy Humans was founded in 2007 and has received $2 million since its inception.
- Treatment Online, Inc. members use a network of health care professionals to offer evaluation tools for depression, anxiety, attention deficit hyperactivity disorders and other psychological syndromes. The company was founded in 2006 and is based in New York City.
- Officially launched in 2008, stickk.com is a website dedicated to promoting a healthier lifestyle to achieve a personal goal, whether it’s losing weight or quitting smoking. Since launching, stickk.com has raised $2.23 million in funding.
- Vancouver, BC based Ayogo Games created GoodLife, a social networking game that helps users get motivated and set goals for themselves that they can use to take charge of their health. The company was founded in 2008 and employs less than 50 people.
- Organized Wisdom created a digital physicians office that includes a health library, appointment-booking, automatic health alerts, incorporation with social media sites and video templates to welcome you as a patient. Organized Wisdom was founded in 2007 in New York City.
- FORCE TherEx is a patient management and tracking system designed by FORCE Therapeutics for physical therapists to enable them to prescribe home exercise programs in the form of video clips. FORCE was founded in 2009 and is based in New York City.
- Based out of Philadelphia, Pa., Meddik identifies the most important stories from online for specific conditions and symptoms and delivers information to your email. The company was founded in 2011 by two college students.
- Palo Alto, Calif.-based HeathTap is an interactive health information network that provides free online and mobile answers from physicians from around the United States. HealthTap raised $11.5 million in addition to the $2.5 million angel funding at the beginning of its inception in early 2011.
- Madison, Wis. based Asthmapolis.com is a Website used to research, track and manage information for physicians and asthma patients. The company was launched in 2010.
- Founded in Oak Park, Calif. in 2011, NowPos created PaDSis, short for Patient Diary System, which is a mobile application that helps the patient proactively manage medication and report outcome electronically.
- Based in Elyria, Ohio, VasoLux MicroSystems was established in 2005 to develop medical devices that could eliminate the subjective nature of diagnosing various diseases. The device also tells doctors whether osteoarthritis patients would benefit from cartilage repair or joint replacement.
- Founded in 2004, ViewRay, Inc., is developing advanced radiation therapy technology using MRI-guided radiotherapy to provide continuous soft-tissue imaging during treatment. ViewRay received $10 million in September 2011.
- Chicago Health Technology is a website focused on discussing and showcasing health-related technology with an emphasis on the Chicago area with initiatives resulting in more efficient, cost effective and accessible health care.
- Epsilon Imaging Inc., located in Ann Arbor, Mich., has been developing imaging technologies that combine visualization of diagnostic information with measurable data since 2008. Epsilon raised $12 million in 2009 in addition to grants from the National Heart Blood and Lung Institute.
- LifeComm LLC provides you with a simple-to-use and wearable device linked to emergency response systems. The Atlanta, Ga. company is a subsidiary founded by QUALCOMM Incorporated and American Medical Alert Corp.
View list of schools offering healthcare technology programs.
- Founded in 2002, PatientSafe Solutions Inc. has designed a patient-safety system for Apple Inc.’s iPod Touch after raising $30 million. Founded in 2002, PatientSafe has 80 employees in its San Diego, Calif. headquarters.
- Based in Hudson, Ohio, software developer COMS Interactive, LLC has developed software, Daylight IQ, which is a disease management system that improves the quality care of residents in long-term care facilities. Since its inception in 2009, COMS Interactive has acquired $2.7 million of its $4 million goal.
- Located in Mountain View, Calif., Covia Labs, Inc. has developed a software platform that enables secure inter-communications system accessible by smart phones to police and fire department radios. Covia Labs was founded in 2008 and is wholly privately owned.
- Azumio is dedicated to improve your health and wellness through biofeedback mobile applications. Located in Palo Alto, Calif., the company raised $2.5 million of funding in 2011, the same year it was launched.
- Launched in 2010, AboveStress.com created the mobile application Stress Tracker, which brings expert tools via mobile apps allowing users to track stress rates and offering techniques to conquer triggers.
- Established in 2011, CareSpeak Communications, Inc. is a privately held New Brunswick, N.J. corporation that creates communication technologies linking health care professionals, patients and caregivers.
- Recently launched in 2011, Beyond Lucid Technologies is a health care IT company that offers the MediView software platform for first responders. Beyond Lucid received a $165,000 a Therapeutic Discovery Grant from the National Institutes of Health in 2011.
- CellTrak is a leading provider of home care technology including home care, home health care, hospice and private duty industries. Founded in 2006, CellTrak is backed by the Illinois Venture Capital Association.
- Massive Health raised $2.25 million in 2011 to create an online site to help people control their weight and improve their health through improved data, web design and feedback.
- Founded in 2008, CoverMyMeds.com specializes in phone-based tools that automates the submission of prior authorization requests to health insurance plans. The startup company based in Ohio raised $1 million by collaborating with pharmaceutical manufacturers by improving patient access to medications.
- Bellevue, Washington based Talyst was founded in 2002 received $20 million to provide a software platform that integrates pharmacy bar coding, storage, inventory, ordering and clinical systems.
View list of schools offering pharmaceutical programs.
- Teaming up with Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, Explorys.net assists health care and life sciences companies to expand research through an accessible platform to collaborate and search data. Explorys.net boasts a fast and energetic work environment.
- Founded in 2004, NextBio provides a platform that enables life science researchers to search, discover and share knowledge within public and proprietary data. NextBio’s headquarters is based in Cupertino, Calif., with sales offices in New Jersey, Boston and San Francisco.
- Founded in 2009, EnHatch is a virtual think tank for medical and pharmaceutical professionals to share and collaborate with their peers. The ideas created then can be turned into innovative products. The company headquarters is in Lyndhurst, N.J.
- Established in 2010 in San Mateo, Calif., Doximity is a physicians network which quickly connects with any U.S. physician to work in partnership on patient treatment or identify the appropriate patient referrals.
- Athersys is a Cleveland, Ohio company that develops new therapies via stem cells and pharmaceuticals. The company has developed a proprietary stem cell product which could be used to treat a variety of diseases including inflammatory bowel disease.
- Continua Health Alliance is a non-profit organization focused on establishing a telehealth system of interoperable personal connected health solutions by extending those solutions into the home. The Beaverton, Ore. company was founded in 2006.