Visual communications is a growing industry–individuals with creative and artistic talents could take advantage of online bachelor’s degree programs in visual communications to start a lucrative career. Whether you are interested in working as a graphic designer, illustrator or multimedia artist, online bachelor’s degree programs in visual communications can help prepare you for a career that uses your artistic abilities to tell a story, sell a product or simply entertain.
What are online bachelor’s degree programs in visual communications
Most visual communications careers require a four-year degree. Online bachelor’s degree programs in visual communications focus on various aspects of visual design depending on your specialization. Basic coursework found in online bachelor’s degree programs in graphic design and marketing include:
- Introduction to design
- Computer graphics
- Web design
After completing core curriculum, you’ll likely intern in a real-world setting, learning to apply basic skills under professional guidance. Internships help develop your techniques and give you the opportunity to learn from a mentor, strengthening your portfolio in the process. Internships also provide valuable networking opportunities.
A bachelor’s degree in visual communications, graphic design and marketing serves as a basis for many careers. Some professional opportunities are listed below, along with relevant salary figures as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
- Graphic designers draw and design visuals to meet clients’ communications needs. In addition to creating pictures and designs, they develop layouts for magazines, advertisements, logos, signage systems and other media. May 2009 mean salary for graphic designers: $47,820.
- Art directors help manage the visual side of an advertisement or publication. Directors typically help choose text layout and direct writers and artists. Directors also select designs, pictures and photographs to help present concepts visually. May 2009 mean salary for art directors: $91,520.
- Multimedia artists and animators use computers and draw by hand to help tell stories and communicate messages. Artists and animators typically work in advertising, motion picture, video game and music video industries. May 2009 mean salary for multimedia artists and animators: $62,810.
- Illustrators create pictures for books, greeting cards, advertisements, calendars, magazines and other communications media that require a visual aid. May 2009 mean salary for fine artists, including illustrators: $50,630.
- Photographers take pictures of people, things and places for various publications. Duties also involve developing and editing the taken pictures. May 2009 mean salary for photographers: $36,370.
- Desktop publishers combine and design the layout for texts, images and graphics to create a publication that is attractive and readable. Publishers may also design some of the images and write some of the text. May 2009 mean salary for desktop publishers: $38,960.
If you’re interested in learning more about what’s involved in online bachelor’s degree programs in graphic design and marketing, make sure to explore WorldWideLearn.com’s Guide to Majors. You can find detailed information on degree programs in graphics and multimedia and game design and development. To launch your career, start researching online bachelor’s degree programs in visual communications today.