Online Conflict Resolution & Mediation Degree Programs
Conflict resolution and mediation specialists help people solve disputes outside of court. Their job title may be mediator, arbitrator, or conciliator. The types of hearings over which they preside typically do not have the same formality as a judicial court, and nothing from that hearing may be used as evidence in court if any subsequent litigation occurs. Mediators simply serve as neutral parties in disputes typically when the people involved don't want to completely destroy their relationship, since mediators only make suggestions, and traditionally don't give binding orders.
In mediation the two parties must reach an agreement themselves, and if they don't then they can move on to a formal hearing. Many individuals and businesses have come to prefer this less formal process rather than going through the expense and infamy of a drawn-out legal trial.
One step up from this is voluntary arbitration, in which the arbitrator does give a binding decision. Compulsory arbitration is more similar to mediation, in that either party can reject the arbitrators' suggestions.
Career Training: Conflict Resolution and Mediation Degrees
Prospective mediators can choose from a wide level of career training options, from certificates to master's degrees. Also, various state agencies and professional organizations award certifications in conflict resolution, including the American Arbitration Association. Independent mediation programs, national and local mediation membership organizations, and postsecondary schools all offer training in this field. Helpful fields of study to further your career include public policy and law.
Online and traditional degrees in conflict resolution and mediation can teach you the following skills:
- Negotiation: learn the fine art of leading people to a compromise by using neutral language, asking questions, and writing agreements
- Conflict analysis: find out how to step outside of a conflict to analyze it objectively
- Mediation theory: study the many different schools of mediation theory and learn about the common ethical issues that arise during conflict resolution and mediation, such as impartiality, informed consent, and confidentiality
- Handling cultural diversity: discover how to approach conflicts and misunderstandings with an eye toward today's culturally diverse world
Licensing requirements vary widely among the states, with some requiring law experience for arbitrators to others without certification programs. You should check with your state to make sure the degree and training you're receiving will qualify you for any necessary exam.
Conflict Resolution and Mediation Career Prospects
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, arbitrators, mediators, and conciliators earned a median annual salary of $48,840 in 2008. Some of the top paying industries in conflict resolution and mediation include (annual mean wage):
- Legal services ($69,010)
- Medical and surgical hospitals ($66,290)
- Federal executive branch ($109,490)
- State government ($60,080)
- Universities ($68,350)
The Bureau of Labor Statistics expects that conflict mediators should experience a steady job-growth rate of 11 percent through 2016, which is about equal with the national average for all occupations.
Pursue your Conflict Resolution & Mediation major today…
At University of Phoenix, we believe everyone deserves access to higher education.
Abilene Christian University (ACU), founded in 1906 and affiliated with the Church of Christ, has a long and proud heritage dedicated to educating students for Christian service and leadership throughout the world. Instructors teach students how to think critically and globally in each of their respective programs, while still maintaining a focus on their particular program of study. ACU is an academically notable institution top ranked by U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Colleges", as well as The Princeton Review and Forbes.
- Master of Arts in Conflict Resolution and Reconciliation
Capella provides a flexible online learning environment designed for working adults who want to advance in their profession.
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
Earn a respected bachelor's degree, master's degree, or Ph.D. online at Walden University.
- M.S. in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling-General Program
- M.S. in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling - Forensic Counseling-General Program
- Ph.D. in Human Services - Family Studies and Intervention Strategies
- M.S. in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling - Trauma and Crisis