Both online and on-campus HTML courses typically teach the fundamentals of the popular coding language, in particular, how to use its features to create the websites and forums. Although courses may vary from school to school, students learning HTML online should expect an introduction to the following concepts:
- Fundamental elements of HTML
- Attributes of HTML expressions
- Responsive web design
- Using HTML for interactive design
- Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
HTML course structure
In order to learn HTML, students typically have to first understand the basics of the language. How does it work? How do different code expressions, like <a href>, <div> and <span> map to the visual elements that make a web page look and reacts a certain way?
A wide range of courses provide concise direction for students learning HTML online. According to a review of the curriculum for various HTML courses, the following examples are of courses and skills students might encounter in an HTML program:
- Style architecture: Building a web page that looks and feels as it is intended by grouping styles into directories based on intent
- HTML basics: Study what makes HTML coding work and the various intricacies of the coding language, including common themes and communications
- Performance and organization: Organizing any set of HTML code in order to optimize its performance and ensure an attractive look
- Responsive web design: Using HTML coding in a way that remains functional across a wide range of devices including mobile devices
- Learning pre-processors: Learn how grouping small tasks can speed up HTML efficiency and how using preprocessors can eliminate the need for time-consuming tasks
- Transmissions and animations: Using HTML coding to create interactive elements on a web page
- Cascading Style Sheets: CSS is the language that a web designer can use to control the visual styling of all the individual HTML expressions they might use in composing a page
Types of online courses
When it comes to learning HTML online, there are a wide range of courses available.Online education provider Udemy offers an HTML workshop entirely online. The course is free and aims to teach its users how to create web pages from scratch using the popular coding language.
Online university courses
MIT also offers HTML and general coding courses through their open courseware program, which allows students from all over the globe to access their first rate materials and instructors. And since learning HTML tends to be crucial for anyone who wants to learn the fundamentals of web page creation, traditional schools also usually offer courses that teach the language.
"HTML & CSS," Codecademy, July 23, 2014, http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/web
"HTML Workshop," Udemy, July 23, 2014, https://www.udemy.com/html-workshop/
"Learn to Code HTML & CSS," Shay Howe, http://learn.shayhowe.com/html-css/
"MIT Open Courseware," Massachusetts Institute of Technology, July 23, 2014, http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm