Information technology (IT) is the cross-section of business and computer technology. IT is a field facing constant growth, and new technological innovations spring to life every day. Online master's degree programs in information technology can help develop your abilities to properly and creatively utilize software and hardware in revolutionary fashion. You will also learn how business corresponds with today's technology.
Online master's degree in information security: Curriculum
Although specific courses depend mostly on the field of specialization, every student enrolled in online master's degree programs in information technology must complete similar core curriculum. Some core classes include:
- Management information systems
- Information systems engineering
- Database systems
- User interactivity
- Software design
Careers for graduates of online master's degree programs in information technology
A graduate-level degree, including an online master's degree in information security or master's degree in cybersecurity, can prepare you for a large assortment of jobs. Below, you will find some potential careers, along with relevant salary figures as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
- Business intelligence analysts create reports about financial, economic or business data for executives, board members, clients or other stakeholders. May 2009 mean annual salary for business intelligence analyst: $77,010.
- Web administrators are responsible for the design, content and maintenance of websites. May 2009 mean annual salary of web administrators: $77,010.
- Computer security specialists are responsible for the security of a firm's data, requiring knowledge of cybersecurity protocols as well as database security. May 2009 mean annual salary of computer security specialists: $67,710.
- Geospatial information scientists and technologists research and develop geospatial databases for areas such as agriculture, mining, health care and retail. May 2009 mean annual salary of geospatial information scientists and technologists: $77,010.
- Network systems and data communications analysts set up, perform diagnosis and maintenance on area networks such as LANs. The BLS also predicts a staggering 52 percent job growth between 2008 and 2018. May 2009 mean annual salary of network systems and data communications analysts: $67,710.
- Computer and information systems managers direct other IT professionals in various fields and have much larger responsibilities Experience is a big plus. May 2009 mean annual salary of computer and information systems managers: $113,720.
With an advanced degree in an IT field, such as online master's degree in information security, you could develop a higher level of expertise, handle greater responsibilities and command higher earnings. While no master's degree can guarantee any particular career or salary, an advanced degree does present an opportunity to advance within the field. With increased competition, many employers favor candidates willing to go the extra mile.
For more information, feel free to explore the different online programs below, or read our Guide to Majors in Technology. You can also view the Guide to Master's Degrees in Technology & IT. Compare different graduate-level programs, and contrast how a master's degree in information systems security differs from master's degrees in network administration or database management.
If you want to advance your career and your life, don't wait. Find a suitable program below and simply fill out a form. A university representative will contact you to answer any further questions or concerns.