Online bachelor's degree programs in Web design and development
Have you ever visited a website and formed a weak opinion of the design layout? Perhaps the visual aspects are dated, the navigation is confusing or the functionality is disappointing. The Internet challenges websites to constantly update and upgrade, and you could turn this challenging opportunity into a rewarding career.
The proliferation of websites has created a huge market for Web design and development, and the demand for designers and developers is continuing its steady ascent. Even as new sites are added, existing sites must be maintained and improved by dedicated professionals.
Online bachelor's degree programs in Web design and development can give you the training needed to benefit from this strong demand, leading to a career with numerous employment opportunities and strong earning potential.
What to expect from online bachelor's degree programs in Web design and development
Web design and development incorporates several aspects of computer science, and a bachelor's degree is recommended if you plan to pursue a career in this field. The exact mix of coursework may vary depending on what kind of role you plan to play, but some subjects related to web design and development include:
- Graphic design
- Multimedia studies
- Computer programming
- Database management
- Online marketing
- Network and database security
A broader understanding of computer science and telecommunications grants a more comprehensive perspective of the individual components that synthesize to create a website.
Careers for people with bachelor's degrees in Web design and multimedia
What kind of careers are open to people with bachelor's degrees in web design and multimedia? Potential career opportunities, along with relevant Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) figures, are provided below.
- Web developers are responsible for conceiving and implementing websites, which may involve everything from programming to visual design. The BLS includes Web developers in the category of computer network, systems and database administrators. As of May 2009, there were 868,940 employees in this category. Depending on specific job duties, mean annual wages range from $70,930 to $78,010.
- Webmasters are responsible for the ongoing maintenance of websites. The BLS categorizes webmasters as Web developers, though incomes may lean toward the lower end of the spectrum; educational requirements for webmasters are less stringent than the requirements for Web developers. May 2009 mean annual wage hovers above $70,000.
- Web programmers specialize in writing or configuring software for websites. Programmers fall under the BLS category of software engineers, a category totaling 880,700 employees as of May 2009. Software engineers specializing in applications earned a mean annual wage of $90,170, and those specializing in systems earned a mean of $96,620.
Websites continue to be a growing part of modern life, enhancing its ability to create long-term careers. Web-related careers offer several options for work location and types of employer.
Whatever type of employment setting you desire, you will need the right training. Online bachelor's degree programs in web design and development can help you get the training you need conveniently and efficiently. Consult WorldWideLearn.com's Guide to Majors for more information on programs in this field. You can find specific guides to specializations in Web design, Web development and graphics and multimedia.
Pursue your Web Development major today…
At University of Phoenix, we believe everyone deserves access to higher education.
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the same curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same degree, quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Information Technology - Multimedia and Web Development Specialization (BS)
Learning at Full Sail University has always centered around interaction and the exchange of ideas. Our online curriculum fully embraces this philosophy.
Sanford-Brown Online offers an industry-oriented education with the convenience and flexible schedules designed to fit your busy life.
Career-focused education for real‐world results.