Online bachelor's degree programs in video game software development
In the U.S., retail video game sales reached $19.66 billion in 2009, report market researchers from the NPD Group. If playing video games is your passion, then you may be the perfect candidate for a career in the lucrative and expanding field of video game software development. Bachelor's degrees programs in computer science are one of several degree programs that can put you on that path.
Bachelor's degree programs in computer science: What to expect
With bachelor's degree programs in computer science you'll cover the technical aspects of programming to the practical. Advanced math and computer skills are taught, as well as scheduling techniques and teamwork skills. With online bachelor's degree programs in video game software development you'll learn about animation, game prototyping and software testing.
- Introduction to computer programming
- Introduction to data structures
- Introduction to computer science
- Software engineering
- Discrete mathematics
- Linear algebra
- Operating systems
- Object-oriented design
- Programming in C, C++ and Java
Bachelor's degree programs in computer science: Career outlook for video gaming
Although the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) doesn't collect data specifically for game software developers, the bureau states the median earnings for computer programmers in the software publishing industry in 2009 was $85,510. Some of the different types of positions held by computer science majors working in video game development are described below:
- Game programmers write the code that provides the game's actions. They communicate to the computer via programming languages how the characters in the game should react to one another and their environment. They try to do this as efficiently as possible, in order to preserve memory while maintaining smooth game play.
- Artificial intelligence programmers write code that makes characters behave realistically in a game's environment. They also write rules that determine how characters react to the player.
- Game designers create the story of a game and oversee the game's development, providing unity of vision and helping the team to stay on task. Game designers write scripts for games and create storyboards in order to communicate exactly what the designer's intentions are for the game.
- Sound designers create the soundtrack and sound effects in the game. They work with the programmers to get the timing of the effects right. They also must be able to write music that conveys the mood of the game without being too distracting.
- Game testers play video games to test them for bugs and to ensure that they are ready for the market.
For more information, visit WorldWideLearn's Guide to College Majors, where you will find more information about majors in video game design and development, bachelor's degree programs in computer science, majors in graphics and multimedia, web design degrees and more. You can also browse below to compare online bachelor's degree programs in video game software development. When you see a program that interests you, simply fill out a form and an admissions representative from that school will contact you.
Don't wait for the game of life to get one up on you, take your career to the next level. Get a college education.
Pursue your Game Software Development major today…
Earn a Certificate, Associate, Bachelor, Master's or Doctorate for less at Baker College Online.Visit www.bakercollegeonline.com
- Bachelor of Computer Science - Game Software Development
- Bachelor of Computer Science - Mobile Application Software Engineering
Your creativity is a big part of who you are and where you’re going. To take it, and your future, as far as you want, you need an education that’s focused on developing your talents and putting you on the path toward the creative career that stirs your imagination. A collaborative education at The Art Institute of Atlanta-Decatur, a branch of The Art Institute of Atlanta, is all about the work, the students who create it, and the instructors who guide them.
The first step is to explore these areas of study, and think about where you fit in an industry that runs on ideas.
- Game Art & Design (BS)
- Graphic Design (BS)
Learning at Full Sail University has always centered around interaction and the exchange of ideas. Our online curriculum fully embraces this philosophy.Visit www.fulllsail.edu
- Game Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Game Art, Bachelor of Science (Online)
Five colleges of study. One clear focus: Your career success.
Earn the respect of employers with a degree you can earn on campus, online or both.
- Bachelor's - Game and Simulation Programming
- Bachelor's - Computer Engineering Technology
Westwood College is dedicated to preparing students with the knowledge, skills and training needed for meaningful employment. Through education, we create opportunities, change lives and impact futures.Visit www.westwood.edu
- Software Development: Major in Game Software Development (B)
- Graphic Design (A)
IADT's new Virtual Campus will open doors to online degree programs for imaginative, career-focused students
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Game Production
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design