Online bachelor's degree programs in database administration and technology
Are you a computer wizard? Do you spend a good portion of your day flying around the Internet working "dev magic"? If so, you could turn your computer and Internet skills into a high-paying, interesting career with a bachelor's degree in database technology administration.
Bachelor's degree programs in database technology: What to expect
Online bachelor's degree programs in database administration and technology can combine your personal interests with the education you need to succeed at a career in database technology and administration. Bachelor's degree programs in database administration and similar, usually maintain a curriculum that covers some variation of the following courses:
- Managing information systems
- Data structures
- Database design and implementation
- System analysis and design
- Computer information systems
- Structured query language (SQL)
- Procedural language (PL)
- Programming languages
- Query design
- Oracle databases
As with all undergraduate degree programs, expect two years of core coursework. For students pursuing bachelor's degrees in database administration and similar computer science degrees, advanced mathematics should also be taken, as soon as possible.
Careers and salaries in database technology and administration
Earning a college degree can help prepare you for a career in this fast growing industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), job growth for database administrators is expected to grow by 20 percent from 2008 to 2018. There is a great need for qualified professionals as more companies seek help analyzing data.
Online bachelor degree programs in database administration and technology can provide you with numerous jobs opportunities. Sample professional titles and mean annual salaries for May 2009, as reported by the BLS include the following:
- Database administrators work to organize, store, analyze, use and present data. They also set up new computer databases and ensure the performance and security of database systems. Salary: $74,290
- Network and computers systems administrators design, install and support computer systems. They are responsible for the server network, Internet and company intranets. Salary: $70,930
- Computer security specialistsplan, coordinate and maintain computer security systems. They educate workers about computer security, install computer security programs and actively work against cyber attacks. Salary: $78,010.
- Computer systems analysts design and develop new computer systems. They usually work with specific computer systems, such as business, accounting and finance. Salary: $80,430.
- Database designers design, construct and maintain computer application programs. They use programming languages to develop databases. Salary: $90,170
While the job outlook for careers in database technology and administration is excellent, bachelor's degrees in database administration will help increase your chances of securing exceptional job opportunities. It is also essential to stay up-to-date on the newest developments in database technology, because of the rapid rate at which technology is changing. The better the education and training you have, the more competitive you are in the job market.
If you think you want to pursue a degree in database technology and need more information, check out WorldWideLearn.com to learn more about this and other computer science majors. Our Guide to College Majors in Technology allows you to explore majors in information technology, technology management, information systems security and more.
Pursue your Database Technology major today…
Earn a respected bachelor's degree, master's degree, or Ph.D. online at Walden University.
Five colleges of study. One clear focus: Your career success.
Earn the respect of employers with a degree you can earn on campus, online or both.
- Bachelor's - Computer Information Systems - Database Management
Continue your education with Strayer University.
- BSIS: Enterprise Data Management
- BSIT: Database Technology
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the same curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same degree, quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
Earn a Certificate, Associate, Bachelor, Master's or Doctorate for less at Baker College Online.
- Bachelor of Computer Science - Database Technology
At University of Phoenix, we believe everyone deserves access to higher education.
- A.A. in Information Technology/Database Development