Online bachelor's degree programs in computer science
Do you enjoy learning about the latest computer technologies? Do you have strong problem solving and analytical skills? A career in computer science may be the right choice for you to use your skills in computer technology.
What Can You Expect From Computer Science Bachelor Degrees
A bachelor's degree in computer science can teach you the skills you need to work as a computer science professional. Coursework can include:
- Introduction to computer programming
- Introduction to data structures
- Introduction to computer science
- Software engineering
- Discrete mathematics
- Linear algebra
- Operating systems
- Object-oriented design
- Programming in C, C++ and Java
Computer programming degrees provide you with the credibility you need to get your foot in the door of a professional setting. Online bachelor degree programs in computer science offer the flexibility to pursue school, while working or taking care of a family, and allow you to prove your commitment to the field.
Computer Science Career Outlook
The job outlook for computer science professionals is expected to be favorable. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the job growth for computer science professionals is expected to be 30 percent from 2008 to 2018.
Here are some of the top growth careers for professionals with computer science bachelor degrees and corresponding mean annual salaries from the BLS for May 2009:
- Computer network engineers design computer networks. They set up, test and evaluate networks for businesses. Salary: $76,560
- Database administrators are responsible for database management software. They determine different ways to store, organize, analyze and use data. Salary: $74,290
- Web developers work with the technical aspects of website creation. They use software languages and tools to create various applications for the Internet. Salary: $78,010
- Computer programmers write computer programs. They convert the design into a series of instructions that the computer can follow in order to create the program. Salary: $74,690
- Computer software engineers design and develop software for companies. They create, test and evaluate software applications for computers. Salary: $90,170
- Computer support specialists provide support, technical assistance, and advice to companies or individuals based on their computer technology needs. Salary: $47,360
- Computer systems software engineers are responsible for researching, designing, developing, and testing systems software for almost all industries. Salary: $96,620
- Computer research scientists usually hold PhDs. They research and create new computer technologies like virtual reality and artificial intelligence. Salary: $105,370
Although the job outlook for computer science professionals is higher than most occupations and expected to grow, there is significant competition for top-paying careers. Most employers require at least a bachelor's degree to begin work. A master's degree is usually required for management and supervisory positions.
Employers also want potential employees to have the most up-to-date education on the latest computer technologies, so find out what computer and systems certifications you need for your specific occupation.
For more information about computer science degree programs, computer networking degrees, information technology or web development check out the Guide to College Majors in Technology, where you can find more detailed information about specific degree programs in the computer science field.
Pursue your Computer Science major today…
Earn a Certificate, Associate, Bachelor, Master's or Doctorate for less at Baker College Online.Visit www.bakercollegeonline.com
- Bachelor of Computer Science - Computer Science
- Bachelor of Computer Science - Mobile Application Software Engineering
A degree from CTU can connect you to what matters most: powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. So once you earn your degree you hit the ground sprinting. Are you in?Visit www.coloradotech.edu
- Bachelor's (BSIT) - Software Systems Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Software Application Programming
Earn an accredited Business or Technology degree 100% online with ECPI.
- Information Science - Cloud Computing - Bachelor
- Database Programming - Bachelor
Thanks to Florida Tech offering intensive degree programs 100% online, students located all over the world have the opportunity to access the same world-class education as those who attend classes on the main campus in Melbourne, Florida.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration/Computer Information Systems
Online. Accelerated. Affordable. Accredited.
- B.S. Information Technology - Software
- B.S. Information Technology