Online marketing courses aim to prepare students for the world of marketing and brand management. Students in these programs typically study a wide range of topics related to this industry. Core marketing skills, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), include:
- Tracking sales and marketing trends
- Designing methods through which meaningful marketing data can be collected
- Analyzing data points to measure effectiveness of marketing programs
Students interested in this field can choose from a range of educational options like earning an internet marketing certificate online, or pursuing an associate or bachelor's degree.
What Skills Do Students Learn in Marketing Courses?
Students pursuing an online marketing course typically encounter a curriculum focused on the basic components of a successful marketing campaign. For example, why consumers behave the way they do and how an effective marketing campaign might influence their decisions.
A breakdown of an introductory marketing course from Coursera and University of Pennsylvania provides a three-module syllabus:
- Branding: Three weeks focused on marketing strategy, branding and brand communications
- Customer Centricity: Weeks 4-6 cover the integration of customer service into marketing strategy.
- Go-to Marketing Strategies: Weeks 7-9 cover strategies for online and offline customer interactions as well as methods of exerting influence and social advertising.
A similar syllabus from an online marketing degree program at Franklin University mentions major elective courses in internet marketing, e-commerce, global marketing and public relations in addition to various other related subjects.
According to the BLS, professionals in marketing also need analytical skills, critical thinking skills and the ability to make important decisions. Marketing typically requires a certain level of creativity and organization as well as the ability to work with a wide range of personalities, the BLS states. Marketing courses aim to provide students with the opportunity to hone these skills and put them to use in a professional environment.
How Do Marketing Skills Apply to the Real World?
O*NET Online's breakdown of work activities for marketing specialists lists the following work activities as important:
- Data analysis of consumer trends, industry trends and market trends
- Collecting information from relevant sources
- Interpreting data to discern its meaning for others
- Working with computers and computer systems
These skills could conceivably be applied to other industries like public relations or sales.
"13-1161.00 - Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists," O*NET Online, July 14, 2014, http://www.onetonline.org/link/details/13-1161.00
"Advertising, Promotions, and Marketing Managers," U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, July 14, 2014, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/advertising-promotions-and-marketing-managers.htm#tab-1
"An Introduction to Marketing," Coursera, July 14, 2014, https://www.coursera.org/course/marketing
"Marketing Major Area Course Description," Franklin University, July 14, 2014, http://www.franklin.edu/marketing-major-course-descriptions
"Online Marketing Certificate Programs: Marketing Strategy," eCornell, July 14, 2014, http://www.ecornell.com/certificates/marketing/marketing-strategy/